Kudos to the folks behind CertaProSucks.org for introducing a new way to communicate a former franchisee’s message.
This is the first application of a franchise investor, self-published animation…ever. A very complex message that is delivered in a beautifully simple manner. Dense with meaning. Well done.
Common archetypal themes (universal, systemic, across all systems) revealed by a cartoon:
- sold during a psychologically vulnerable time (unemployment),
- franchising is a sales game (not a product/painting business),
- no experience needed (those in industry can see through “con”),
- debt as a trap activated by shame,
- time (after the honeymoon when experience comes in),
- bankruptcy threats delivered via liquidated damage clauses (largely hollow threat to be sued for the royalties, ad fund, product margins for the years you are NOT a a franchisee; ie. the unused portion of your agreement’s 1st term).
- rapid cycling of selling-failure-re-sell (churning) possible through the promiscuous use of gag orders,
- shame-humiliation emotion is dominant human effect (It’s your fault, ad hominem, debt held by family),
- sloganeering techniques (mindless repetition of self-interested platitudes, thought-terminating cliches),
- the role of sociology in taking a loss or a spoiled identity (bankruptcy stigma, regret, isolation, and silence; On Cooling the Mark Out paper), and
- reason for failure: individual, one-off or business model engineered to maximize franchisor ROI via predatory re-selling process (statistics suggest the latter discoverable via simple a math formula in the disclosure documents; 43% over 3 years).
xtranormal.com certainly looks like fun.
I like the potential of bullshit dialogue being revealed through humour and thought bubbles. Allows for the easy recognition of hyperbole and the misuse of metaphor. Ridicule is a very powerful tool if used correctly.
Love to see a series.