We tried to responsibly play our part.
I saw the power of manually adding up franchisee investor case studies in 1999.
When you give people too much information, they instantly resort to pattern recognition to structure the experience. The work of the artist is to find patterns.
In a sense, WikiFranchise.org is creative: a masterpiece rooted in thousands of peoples’ lives/experiences.
It’s in the franchising technology to leave relationships behind.
Take your life back:
- one old friend at a time.
The technology for dealing with franchising’s smell has changed.
- tradename system executives,
- national franchisor-dominated associations (IFA, AAFD, CFA, FCA, FANZ) + franchise bar, and
- Blue MauMau.org.
If you do not wish a man to do a thing, you had better get him to talk about it; for the more men talk, the more likely they are to do nothing else.
…and John Kenneth Galbraith adds…
People need to think of themselves as unmanaged, independent and free, if they are to be controlled with maximum success.
…and more colloquially still:
Bullshit baffles brains: A deception. To put on such a good show the inspector is so impressed (s)he won’t bother with a detailed check or to question anything.
Kudos to the folks behind CertaProSucks.org for introducing a new way to communicate a former franchisee’s message.
This is the first application of a franchise investor, self-published animation…ever. A very complex message that is delivered in a beautifully simple manner. Dense with meaning. Well done.
Common archetypal themes (universal, systemic, across all systems) revealed by a cartoon:
- sold during a psychologically vulnerable time (unemployment),
- franchising is a sales game (not a product/painting business),
- no experience needed (those in industry can see through “con”),
- debt as a trap activated by shame,
- time (after the honeymoon when experience comes in),
- bankruptcy threats delivered via liquidated damage clauses (largely hollow threat to be sued for the royalties, ad fund, product margins for the years you are NOT a a franchisee; ie. the unused portion of your agreement’s 1st term).
- rapid cycling of selling-failure-re-sell (churning) possible through the promiscuous use of gag orders,
- shame-humiliation emotion is dominant human effect (It’s your fault, ad hominem, debt held by family),
- sloganeering techniques (mindless repetition of self-interested platitudes, thought-terminating cliches),
- the role of sociology in taking a loss or a spoiled identity (bankruptcy stigma, regret, isolation, and silence; On Cooling the Mark Out paper), and
- reason for failure: individual, one-off or business model engineered to maximize franchisor ROI via predatory re-selling process (statistics suggest the latter discoverable via simple a math formula in the disclosure documents; 43% over 3 years).
xtranormal.com certainly looks like fun.
I like the potential of bullshit dialogue being revealed through humour and thought bubbles. Allows for the easy recognition of hyperbole and the misuse of metaphor. Ridicule is a very powerful tool if used correctly.
Love to see a series.
Who can possibly understand a technology that moves too quickly?
This diagram shows the processes in a 4 stroke engine.
By slowing it down, we can understand it. (1. intake, 2. compression, 3. power and 4. exhaust)
This is precisely what I have tried to do with franchising’s technology at WikiFranchise.org.
The only method for perceiving process and pattern is by inventory of effects obtained by the comparison and contrast of developing situations.
Marshall McLuhan 1911-1980
Pacifism is objectively pro-fascist. This is elementary common sense. If you hamper the war effort of one side, you automatically help out that of the other. Nor is there any real way of remaining outside such a war as the present one. In practice, ‘he that is not with me is against me.’
If you turn the other cheek, you will get a harder blow on it than you got on the first one. This does not always happen, but it is to be expected, and you ought not to complain if it does happen.
Whoever is winning at the moment will always seem to be invincible.
And a new favourite: They had their cynical code worked out. The public are swine; advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill-bucket.
— George Orwell