Phil Zimbardo says evil comes from hierarchy.
- Franchising harms people, over time by both sides (see Clay/Prisoner 416 and mock guard talk: start at 2:46). No regret, guilt. Only after upon reflection.
- Prisoner 8612 @ 1:36 (after 36 hours ‘incarceration”)
- Let me in on some knowledge…I know you’re a nice guy (You don’t know that).
- People didn’t say anything.
- Prisoner 819 did a bad thing… I have to prove I’m not a bad prisoner.
- The situation degrades over time.
- How program dissenters are treated by peers and guards (one sign of resistance: Prisoner 416). The guards go crazy. Not a hero but a troublemaker.
- The Stanford Prison Experiment Slide Show
Problems with authority. Breaks from reality. Damaged feeling function. Lack of trust. Anger. Barrenness.
What do you think they chose? Most elected to keep their blanket and let their fellow prisoner suffer in solitary all night.